Friday, November 16, 2007

Crazy Thursday

The big reason we were looking forward to yesterday was because it was Nate's birthday. Knowing that, I thought I'd make brownies for him to take in for his class. As it turned out, however, it was also the day of both Hattie's and Charlotte's Thanksgiving Feasts (in separate schools, of course), in addition to an "Autumn Dessert" for the kindergartners' parents. So things got a little zany around here yesterday.

It started out at 9 am, when I packed the car with the aforementioned brownies, cornbread muffins, corn on the cob, and a gingerbread cake. I zipped Hattie to school and then went straight to Charlotte's school in order to be there in time for their Thanksgiving Feast at 10:15.

A few minutes before 11, I took off again to go back to Hattie's school for their Thanksgiving Feast. Here she is, wearing the shirt she made out of one of the t-shirts I ended up dying with tea bags. I think it goes very nicely with her tie-dyed tights that she picked out herself that morning.

Then it was back to Charlotte's school for the "Autumn Dessert," an event designed to accommodate parents who wanted to be included in the Thanksgiving Feast. Since there was limited room available in the lunchroom, the powers that be decided to have individual celebrations in the classrooms that all the parents could attend. And oh, by the way, there will be singing. Fortunately Tim managed to work it into his schedule, because I was about 10 minutes late getting there from Hattie's school and so missed 75% of the program.

I was, however, able to make it in time for "Albuquerque Turkey," a song Charlotte has been singing all week about a turkey who some farm children hide from their farmer dad who says, "Chop, Chop, Chop!" and so they end up eating Kentucky Fried Chicken on Thanksgiving Day. I'm not sure where Albuquerque fits into this whole horror scenario, but everyone enjoyed hearing/singing the song, complete with axe murderer-type hand motions.

After these festivities were over I could focus on Nate's birthday. Lucky for me, he wanted an ice cream cake (which I bought) and sausage gravy and biscuits for dinner, so it was a very easy meal to plan and make.

He was so excited about his presents that he couldn't wait to open them with cake, like we usually do, so he opened them while I finished making dinner. Everything was a hit, and I was glad to see that his Weasley sweater not only fit, but he liked it. In another stroke of luck, the weather cooperated by dropping the temperature about 20 degrees, so it was even cold enough here to wear it.

And since he'd already opened his presents, he was able to put together and play with his new Playmobil castle before he had to get ready for bed. So that all worked out.

The verdict? A successful day, overall, if a little hectic. I will be glad, however, when all three kids are in the same school next year.

Happy Birthday, Nate!

1 comment:

LLA said...

whew! That was one crazy day - I'm winded just *reading* about it...

Sounds like it was the good kind of crazy though... A very happy belated b'day to MrNate. Tell him that I love his birthday menu - I do love me some sausage gravy...