Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Speech Notebook Wednesday

Time for another Speech Notebook Wednesday. Actually, exactly a week ago was also time, but unfortunately that didn't happen. So once again you get both this week's and last week's.

Seems like for a lot happening around here that there's precious little to blog about. Tim was gone most of the week before last, and my mother very kindly came to help out.

Then last weekend Nate and Tim went camping with the cub scouts, so the girls and I rattled around this house all by ourselves.

One thing that's interesting to note is that while Tim was gone I was much more productive in terms of doing things around the house that needed to be done. Why is that? Wouldn't it make sense that more would get done with two adults than with one? But the opposite is true. Now that I think of it, when Tim and I first started dating, we were so busy going out and doing fun things that the boring household things (like um, paying bills and doing the laundry) didn't get done as often. Maybe that's what's happening here. Except without the going out part. And sometimes the doing fun things part.

Also having only two kids to care for instead of 3 (or even 4, as Tim pointed out) seemed like a holiday. So maybe that also played a part.

Regardless, the boys had a great time on their campout. They ate lots of crackers, donuts, and cookies, even though I sent along apples and carrots to prevent scurvy. They also came home filthy and exhausted, so they must have had a great time.

I saw a great quote the other day (attributed to Not Your Average Dictionary, a source with which I am unfamiliar and also apparently unable to google competently), saying that the definition of 'boy' is a noise with dirt on it.

Obviously written by someone who knew a lot about boys.

1 comment:

LLA said...

As someone who spends far too much time on her own - I can agree that even though it doesn't make sense that more gets done, frequently that is the case. I suspect that when it comes to this, I am kind of like the working mom who doesn't want to discipline her child, the rationale being that "I see him for such a short time each day that I don't want to spend it being the bad guy." I see Bubba so infrequently, and he works so hard, that I kind of hate spending what little time we have on drudgery!

I do love Speech Notebook Wednesday...