Saturday, April 28, 2007

Knitting books

So for the last few months I've been checking knitting books out of the library. En masse. As many as they would give me at a time. I went through everything in our county library and selected anything that looked interesting. The ones I didn't like, I gave right back. The ones I liked, however, I held onto as long as possible. Sometimes longer, so that unfortunately right now my overdue fine balance is $4.80 and climbing. (That would be at ten cents a day, to give you some idea of my slackitude.)

The book that took the longest to get, because apparently there is a very long waiting list for it, is this one:

Alice Starmore's Aran Knitting. And my gosh, no WONDER! It's really a fabulous book. So I renewed it as long as I could, until finally it was due, due, due and it started to rack up a fine. So this morning I thought to myself, well, it's such a great book, I'll just buy it. So I went online, looked it up, and lo and behold (am I the LAST person in the world to figure this out??) there were 9 copies available starting at $225! For one book! Which is apparently out of print. (WHY? When there is this kind of demand?!)

$225!

So I didn't buy it. And now I will have to do without. The book, I mean, maybe not a couple of the patterns. *cough*

Who knew? Apparently everyone but me.

But in happier news, another knitting book I'd ordered a while ago came last week. It's this one:

It's great! And also half in Latvian, for anyone who's interested. The mittens are incredibly gorgeous, so when I'm looking for something to do, I'll just be whipping out a few of these. So my kids can be wearing them in college or similar. If I'm lucky. Really, I can't say enough how pretty these are. And complicated.

If I knit any, you can be sure that I'll be posting about it, because that would really be an accomplishment. Maybe I can play with it this weekend, after we finish all the stuff that has to be done......

Have a good weekend, everyone!




No comments: