Monday, February 19, 2007

6 weird things about me

For the last month or so I've been seeing lots of the "6 weird things about me" meme. Trying to narrow my idiosyncrasies down to just six has kept my head buzzing for a few weeks now (that should be the first weird thing), so I thought I'd go ahead and take a stab at it before I drove myself completely insane. So here you go, six weird things, not consciously in any order.


  1. When I read books in a series and a new one comes out, I feel compelled to read all the others first before I let myself read the new one. Accordingly, I've read the first three Harry Potter books 4 times, since I got them at the same time, and each successive book one time less than its predecessor. But once the newest book is out, I can't start reading them all again until I have the new one in my hand. Crazy, I know, but I can always remember who someone is! Plus it prolongs the anticipation for the new one.

  2. For some reason when I'm brushing my teeth, more often than not I find myself singing "Turkey in the Straw" to myself by the time I'm done. I think it has something to do with the rhythm.

  3. I love mountains and snow and given the opportunity would pick going skiing over going to the beach every time. It may have something to do with my love of winter clothes, especially turtlenecks and sweaters. I also LOVE wearing all kinds of boots and hate wearing flip-flops with a passion.

  4. Unless it's an emergency, I can't fold clean clothes anywhere except on my bed, and then only when it's made. Which is usually, but not all the time. So if my bed's not made all the successive loads of laundry get backed up, sometimes as far back as the pile waiting to go into the washer. Or maybe it's a time management/procrastination issue, which is really more likely.

  5. I always wear socks to bed, even in the summer. The sole (ha ha) exception to this was when I was 7 months pregnant in July. Then I didn't.

  6. I love old things. Old buildings, old houses, old streets, old clothes, old cars, old furniture, old books, you name it. And things done the old-fashioned way. The older, the better. In college I wanted to be an archaeology major, and then a classics major, both of which I was talked out of (as they were supposedly not as universally popular with employers), so I became a history major. I think the appeal is in thinking about the stories, real or imagined, behind everything. I love thrifting and flea markets for the same reason. I really went crazy sightseeing in Europe, because their stuff is REALLY OLD, but since we live in the U.S., Colonial Williamsburg is on my must-see list for the kids. I do have a pretty strong aversion, however, to fake old stuff. It has to be REAL. Which I know Colonial Williamsburg isn't, 100%, but they and all those "living historical villages" like Plimoth Plantation do the best they can. They're mostly not made out of fake stucco over styrofoam like you see at other places.

So there you have it. Six weird things about me. Looking back, maybe mine should be titled, "6 Signs I've Got OCD." Anyone else who wants to play along, consider yourselves tagged.

2 comments:

LLA said...

"Turkey in the Straw"???? Really?


V. interesting....

autum said...

I sing "Do your ears hang low, do they wobble to and fro?" when I brush my teeth.
I'm the polar opposite of you in #3. Love my flip flops.