Wednesday, August 30, 2006

A birthday present

Three years ago today Hattie was born.

It's absolutely incredible how much of a difference in our lives she's made already, even at this young age. We figured out fairly early on that she is one of those people whose personality just will not quit.

We have a full day today -- Open House at her school, a school-sponsored Ice Cream Social after everyone else gets out of school, and then a family celebration at dinner. I'll post pictures of that later.

In the meantime, here's her present from Tim and me:

My first foray into the world of two-color freezer paper stenciling. I got the idea from Knitting Iris here, who said she saw them originally here at chrysanthemum. Perfect for a butterfly birthday, I thought. This is the back of the shirt.

But I had a lot more trouble with this one than I've had with others I've done. There was a noticeable amount of bleeding from the freezer paper not sticking as securely. Not sure what caused that. Maybe ironing freezer paper to a painted surface doesn't work as well. But a few touch-ups later and I think it will be fine.

Happy Birthday, Sweetie!


2 comments:

LLA said...

Happy Birthday, Miss Hattie - you are a charmer. for sure! And I sure do like your pretty wings. Your mom does nice work...

(and it's funny - the only shirt that I've done that I wasn't as happy with was the one where I did multiple colors. I also used a different brush, and blamed it on that - but maybe it was exactly as you described???)

Jen said...

Wow! It's so nice to see this fun idea spreading along--slowly--but spreading. :)