Tuesday, July 25, 2006

What yeast doesn't like


Yeast Free cookbook
Originally uploaded by 3 to get ready.
Something momentous happened to me today. My order from Amazon finally arrived.

It might not seem like much, but I was incredibly excited to get it. For the last week our family has been on a (mostly) yeast-free diet. Because Charlotte has some kind of "bad yeast" in her digestive system we have to starve it out by not including anything that "yeast likes" in her diet. This would include 1) yeast and 2) sugar.

When the doctor told us about this diet, I thought it would be perfect. I'd been wanting to try out a more healthful, natural diet anyway, and with Hattie being diabetic, I thought we could definitely stand going without sugar.

I had no idea what I was getting into.

Not having yeast is one thing, but as it turns out the first, most restrictive phase of this diet excludes all grains of any kind. No oats, no whole-grain anything, not even barley or spelt.

Also obviously no starches like pasta, but also no rice and no potatoes. Also no milk and no milk products (except plain yogurt), like, oh, CHEESE. And no fruit or nuts. You can just forget about dessert.

Try feeding a family of 5 with 3 small kids on THAT menu.

1 comment:

LLA said...

Ay yi yi....

Now this "bad yeast" thing that Charlotte has - I'm not familiar with it at all - is this something that she's going to deal with forever, or will it really be able to be starved away? And if you starve it away, does she have to watch against it coming back?

Do you know how she got it/where it came from?

Bless your heart, sounds like you're in for a long ride. Lots of fish and salad and meat in your future, hmmm?