Saturday, July 15, 2006

Home from camp and quilt tops

Nate and Charlotte came home from Grandma and Grandpa's today, where they had been staying for a whole week, all by themselves. Nate went to aquarium camp and Charlotte played with Grandma and Grandpa.

Among the many fun things they did: playing on a playground,

going out for tea with Grandma,

and playing in the pool.

We all went up to drop Nate and Charlotte off last weekend, and I came home with two quilt tops made by my great aunts in rural Illinois, probably sometime in the 1930's. These pictures are unfortunately horrible (as a color reference, that carpet is salmon) (I know -- it came with the house), but I am thrilled to have such wonderful examples of family handiwork. It would have been great to learn from these ladies, since they were obviously very accomplished quilters.

This first one looks like it was made with whatever scraps they happened to have, although I didn't notice that there was a pattern in the middle until I looked at it through a camera.

This wedding ring one was obviously the result of a lot of effort on someone's part -- every piece is very carefully selected, and the same fabrics recur throughout.

And a close-up.

I love these vintage fabrics! Did I mention that all the blocks in the first one (although not the seams), and the entire second quilt are all hand-sewn? Amazing. So sad to think that this much effort hasn't been out of a box or drawer in more than 50 years. They really deserve to be finished properly. I would love to do it myself, but since I'm not a quilter, I may have to practice first on something else to make sure I wouldn't mess them up.

No comments: