Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Power to the people!

Erin, over at A Dress A Day has a great post today about the retail clothing industry. Her thought is to print up business cards that say "You'd be looking at a credit card instead of this card if your store carried anything in my size." What an incredible idea!

Her beef is that the clothing industry has established a set sizing spectrum that excludes entirely too many women who may fall on one end or the other, or who may be hard to fit. I would also add that far too often this same clothing industry has decided that every woman is either 17 or over the age of 65. I hate having to choose between the spandex baby tees and the lavender knit pantsuits when I go shopping!

Where the heck is the reasonably priced clothing for women in their 30's and 40's who don't want to look like a sleazebag or their grandma?

I might cross out "in my size" and write in "for someone within a decade of my age."

2 comments:

kay susan said...

Hey! Don't forget those amply upholstered women in their 50's!

kay susan said...

I have to tell you a story. My lovely neighbour was called Marjorie and she was nearly 90. I was 50. We became great friends. One day, she had been on a rare shopping trip to Exeter with a friend and had been hoping to buy some new clothes. She told me how disappointed she was with Marks & Spencer. 'My dear,' she said 'it was all skimpy, strappy, lurid things, or dull, nasty clothes in horrible colours - nothing at all for our age!' I didn't know whether to cry or feel pleased that she felt so comfortable with me! I did, however, know exactly how she felt. I don't know what its like where you are, but here in England its almost impossible to buy trousers that come up to your waist, or tops that come down to it. Lovely on a young thing with a flat tummy and navel jewellery but please, please, something for me too!