Thursday, May 04, 2006

Watching

I have been spending WAY too much time lately watching this.

Texas Ranch House.

Tonight is the last of four 2-hour installments. 8 hours of my life watching yet another historical reality show. 1900 House. Colonial House. Manor House. Frontier House. I've watched every one with ridiculously rapt attention. I just think it's fascinating to see what it would be like to go back in time to try to do things the way they were done then.

I do have a sneaking suspicion, however, that the producers are careful to select at least a few people who will cause controversy, rather than a full cast of people who will try their hardest to replicate authentic period attitudes. I guess 8 hours of people working well together would be boring television.

It's interesting to note that the people who most strongly proclaim an "intense fascination" with the period in question turn around and inject their 21st century attitudes and work ethics into situations where they are most out of place. Just play the game you signed up for! We're not talking about slavery or child labor or anything here.

That part is aggravating, but I watch it anyway. I can proudly say that I have not succumbed to watching any of the other reality shows -- American Idol, Project Runway, Simple Life, or what's-that-one, with Flava Flav. But these, these I cannot resist.

And why do they always pick some weeny guy to be the ranch owner/master of the house/governor? Always having meetings and trying to build consensus. Just grow a spine already! Geez.

No comments: