Friday, March 03, 2006

Time Travel

Last Friday our hard drive crashed. A couple of days earlier it had started to act up, and in a moment of lucidity (both the computer's and mine), I backed up the critical data files -- pictures, Word Documents, Excel spreadsheets, and Quicken. Then our computer choked again, coughed up the Blue Screen of Death (not once but twice!) and died.

And that was it.

The diagnosing Geek Squad technician said, as he shook our newly-removed hard drive like a maraca, "Your hard drive is toast."

I have to say, though, that although I spent hours on the phone with questionably competent Dell tech support, they were very speedy once the diagnosis had been made (note that it was not made by THEM), and they sent out a new hard drive, new software, and a technician to install the hardware, the very next day.

We were down and completely without a computer for 4-5 days. We felt so out of touch that you would think we had been sent straight to Siberia, do not pass GO.

But now, after reloading most of our software and various drivers and other seemingly imaginary and invisible but critical components, we are back. Partially. I am still having trouble recreating the set-up I used to work with photos.

I did, however, manage to get this one shot loaded. This is what I did during our hiatus from the 21st century: I reverted to the 18th century and knitted like a fiend.

This is a scarf, made of fancy Italian yarn that I have been schlepping around from house to house for the last 20 (yes, you read that right) years. The pattern is a 2x2 rib, with a cable every other rib, at least on the front side. Done again, I would have reversed the pattern so that there was also a cable every other rib on the back side, but live and learn. Also the cable would be more discernible in a solid yarn.

I found that the red in this yarn goes beautifully with my winter coat. But I have Tim and Nate both thinking it is for them. I may have to make more than one........



If I can get my photo set-up right, I may be able to post some shots of Charlotte at a birthday party last week.

No comments: